The concept is simple: A bunch of bloggers, lovingly called the Fuckin' Fab Food Bloggers, decided to emulate a popular television show where contestants are given random ingredients and told to make a dish from them. You know the one.
However, our game was slightly altered--in that we're five food bloggers from five different parts of the country. So ingredients had to be relatively non-perishable so that they could travel long distances. Plus they all had to go into one dish.
I can't figure out how to get this to work but, if you want to see me unboxing my ingredients for the first time, head on over to my Facebook Page!
My ingredients were from the lovely Sophia of NY Foodgasm: fresh lemongrass, candied ginger, and tapioca pearls. My first thought was ice cream, obviously. Lemongrass can be sweet or savory, and with the ginger it's a perfect flavor combination. The pearls had me stumped, but I made a spicy raspberry chili reduction out of some soda I had and they made an awesome topping that fit the flavor profile perfectly. All in all, I came out with a unique dessert and my first ice cream recipe of the season!
And I sent some local Texas favorites of mine to Ashley of Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen--be sure to check it out!
Before we get to my recipe, here are the other FFFMysteryBox recipes:
- Gluten-Free Lemon Donuts w/ Blueberry Bourbon Glaze topped w/ Cacao Nibs and Candied Fennel Seeds by Nomageddon (chickpea flour, canned blueberries, chocolate covered cacao nibs, candied fennel seeds)
- Japanese Falafel by NY Foodgasm (sweet rice flour, adzuki beans, black garlic)
- Prickly Pear-Marinated Shrimp Tacos with Honey-Glazed Chorizo & BBQ Crema by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen (spicy barbecue sauce, prickly pear soda, Spanish chorizo picante, honey)
- Tilapia and Sardines in Creamy Asparagus Sauce over Confetti Couscous by girlichef (dried dragon fruit, asparagus pesto, sardines in Harissa)
Lemongrass Ginger Ice Cream with Spicy Tapioca Topping
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup candied ginger, cut into slices
- 1 cup tapioca pearls
- 1 cup raspberry chili soda (or, raspberry soda with 1 sliced jalapeno)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
-In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the whole milk and the lemongrass. Let simmer for 15 minutes, being careful not to let it boil over. Add the sugar and heavy cream and stir until just combined.
-Let chill overnight.
-Slowly pour the mixture through a mesh sieve and into your prepared ice cream maker (frozen bowl set onto machine). Let process until the ice cream is frozen to a soft consistency, then add the candied ginger. Pour into a container and let freeze.
-While ice cream is processing, prepare the tapioca pearls according to the package--1 cup tapioca to 5 cups boiling water, simmer for 8 minutes, take off heat and leave in water for another 5 minutes, drain and put pearls into ice water.
-Reduce the soda to 1/4th cup. Mix in agave and let chill. Toss with tapioca pearls, let chill at least 20 minutes.
-Serve ice cream with the tapioca pearl topping.